As per the CDC reports, one in 69 people suffers a dog attack. This statistic is too alarming to ignore as a minor mishap. Based on the extent of the dog bite, you may suffer a lot of injuries and trauma. That is why you should find an injury lawyer if you or any of your loved ones have fallen prey to a dog bite.
The Accident Checks
An attack by violent dogs has to be treated as a life-threatening injury because its extent can be as fatal as any other accident-related injury. The risks involve the following.
- You do not know the health condition of the dog that bit you. Its bite could cause you to contract rabies if the dog is not in medical check, making it a life-threatening situation for you.
- Blood loss: If you don't receive timely medical attention, you could suffer a massive blood loss, injury to muscles and tendons. Stitches and medical surgery would be necessary in worse cases.
- Infections: Due to the dog bite, you could suffer infections like MRSA and Pasteurella, which can be fatal to your health.
- Dog bites are a violent attack and take you completely by surprise when you have your guard down walking the premises. It has the potential to give you mental trauma that may exist for a long time, even after the injury. It could be worse if the victim of the dog attack is a child. The attack can create lasting fear, panic, and trauma in a growing child's mind.
- If you have to go through surgery, it will affect your work and result in extensive monetary losses.
Therefore, you should not take a dog bite casually. An injury lawyer will gauge the extent of the injury and gather the necessary details. The attorney can help you get the compensation you are entitled to and reduce your suffering to some extent.
The Dog Ownership
Pet dogs are the sole responsibility of the dog owners. In most cases, the dog owners say that their dog does not bite. But if this statement has no strong reasons, the dog owner is responsible for your injury.
If you tread on a property that warns you of a dog's presence and that it can bite, and yet you choose to ignore it, you may not make a strong case.
However, suppose the pet dog is in a public place, away from the owner's vigilance when it bit you or any victim in general. It is an injury for which the owner bears the sole responsibility.
Alternatively, consider that the owner knew of the dog's biting tendencies and still left it unattended. In that case, the person can be subjected to severe punishment and penalty. An injury lawyer can help you get justice. They will help you and also, in the future, save others from that dog's attack while walking the area.
While filing the claims for your compensation, the lawyer will take the below points into consideration.
- The extent of your injuries, infections, and surgeries you may have to go through.
- The premises where the dog bit you.
- The dog's previous history of attack, its veterinary information.
- The complete expenses that you will incur as an aftermath of the dog bite.
Once the compensation claims are filed, your lawyer can represent your side. They will collate and present essential evidence of groundwork and the impacted loss to justify your case and ensure you receive fair compensation.
If the dog owner has insurance for the pet, the compensation will be paid through the policy. If not, the dog owner is liable to compensate you for your losses. The insurance companies may try to prove that you incited the dog somehow, which led to the injury. In any way, the dog owner will put up strong disagreement to provide you with the benefits.
While you are still recovering from the dog attack trauma and injuries, the stress of defending your side may become too much to handle. That's where your lawyer can represent you well using their years of negotiation experience to use.
If you or anyone among your friends and family become an unfortunate victim of a dog bite, you have the right to consult a reliable professional. The experience and skills of an established injury lawyer will help you fight your case for the disfigurement, pain, and discomfort you endured. Get rightly compensated for your physical injuries and emotional turmoil.